Wednesday, November 28, 2007

First XPCOM chrome



Well, I just finished the xul overlay for the firstxpcom extension we created in the previous lab. It wasn't actually that difficult; however, for those of you who regularly download a nightly; like I do. You need to make a few modifications to the lab. Here are some quick fixes I needed to make to get everything working properly.

1. When using Ted's extension creator, make sure you have the right max version. The lab says, "Maximum Version=3.0a3pre" this for me is not correct; I build version 3.0b2pre.

2. If you followed the labs instructions, the chrome extension doesn't seem to appear in the addons list (after extracting the needed files into the ../extensions/firstxpcomchrome@senecacac.on.ca), try renaming the .zip into a ".xpi"; which will allow you to drag and drop the extension into your browser for installation.

Those are basically all the needed steps I took to get the extensions working. Here are some screenshots of the results.

No comments: