Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Metrics Project Contributions

As I have explained in class, my project requires some contributions. Currently, I require some people to test the patch I created on different platforms (linux, mac) and install the extension to test the server script.

Testing the patch only requires someone who uses or has one of the platforms listed above to build firefox with the metrics extension. All details on how to do this is on this blog (click here). I only require one of each, so that would be two people. Please leave a comment below if you're interested; or email me at my student email located on the school wiki (here).

Testing the server requires someone to build the extension with firefox and change some preference settings so that the extension will automatically start and send data to my server (click here). Once the extension has started (you can check by typing about:metrics in the address bar), you should see some xml style data, you just need to use it for about 5 mins. After around 5mins, the data in about:metrics should be reset and that means the data was sent; this is where you can disable the extesnion in the preferences.

Thanks to those who are willing to contribute. Please leave any comments or questions for the above.

3 comments:

Lukas Blakk said...

I can run the patch on my Mac 10.5 build.

dcbarans said...

I'd be up for testing it on Ubuntu. Just give me a day or so.

Simon said...

Thanks people. I will add you two to my contribution list. Just let me know if you want me to add a different id; other than the one listed here.